Thursday, January 19, 2017

Visceral Response



This image is a painting by Caspar David Friedrich from the Romantic movement in the early 19th century titled Monk by the Sea. From the moment I saw this painting it struck me, and the more I learned and studied it, the more I fell in love with it. Friedrich also has grown to be one of my favorite artists because of his use of negative space and scale. At first glance I am intrigued by the tiny person looking off into an unknown abyss. The painting was made with the intention to put yourself in this person's position. Because he made the figure so small in size, the rest of the sea and mostly sky seems so grand. Also, the contrast of the light, sandy rock in the foreground compared to the dark, ominous sea in the background is very striking to me. I love the color scheme because he masters a blending technique that creates very muted but realistic colors. Overall this painting hits me with a sense of peace but underlining mystery that always keeps me going back to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment